>>This Thursday is Women AdvaNCe’s third-annual >>NC Women’s Summit. This is truly one of my favorite events all year. Not only do some of our state’s most amazing women get a chance to network and talk about what matters, we get to hear from some of our country’s leading experts on issues relating to gender equity and justice.
Every time I’ve attended one of our previous summits, I’ve headed home energized by the change the women there are making in the world. If the promise of inspiration isn’t enough, here are six more reasons you should come to Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem this Thursday to join me at the Summit.
- >>Melissa Harris-Perry: This MSNBC news host is our first keynote speaker. She’s traveling down here to share with us her research and observations on national women’s topics such as employment, healthcare, and equal rights.
- Organizing power: Do you know about >>AdvaNCe teams? These are groups of women all over the state who band together to affect political and social change. These leaders will be at the Summit and will be happy to help you sign up to join their team or even start your own.
- Rich discussion: We’ll be hosting panel discussions on higher education, food deserts, and fair pay. Experts from these fields will speak alongside storytellers who will share how they’ve been affected by these issues. The audience will be able to participate with Q&A segments, so come armed with all your pressing questions.
- Synergy: Yes, synergy is kind of a meaningless buzzword. But our second keynote will be with none other than the president of the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C., >>Neera Tanden. Neera will help bring national issues to a statewide focus and will share broader goals and strategies we can pursue statewide.
- Lunch: Who doesn’t like having a few moments to decompress and visit with friends (new and old) from all over the state? The food will be delicious, but the chance to talk with women you might only know via email or phone is even better.
- ME: I’ll be there, moderating a panel on fair pay and generally buzzing about making awkward-yet-enthusiastic conversation. You’ve been reading me for like, three years, so why not put a face to a name? Also attending will be our amazing Women AdvaNCe staff, including organizer Lynn Shoemaker, executive director Kim-Marie Saccoccio, and the truly spectacular Mikaela McLellan. Come say hi and let us gush about how much we love Women AdvaNCe and the people like you who support us.
I haven’t covered everything great about our Summit — we want to leave some surprises after all — but hopefully it’s clear that this year’s Summit is not to be missed. >>Get your ticket here!
WHEN: Thursday, September 24th, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
WHERE: Bridger Field House at Wake Forest University, 499 Deacon Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC
COST: $15 (includes breakfast and lunch)
>>Jen is the Editorial Director of Women AdvaNCe, and is a freelance writer living in Chapel Hill, NC.
There are no commentsAdd yours