FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: KIM-MARIE SACCOCCIO, 919.526.1754
NC Women’s Summit: North Carolina Women Learn How to Lead
RALEIGH, NC – Women AdvaNCe, in partnership with the Women’s Center at NCSU and the Southern Oral History Program at UNC-Chapel Hill, is thrilled to announce the panelists at this year’s North Carolina’s Women’s Summit. The Summit will bring together 200 North Carolina women for a day of critical thinking, leadership training, and storytelling with our state’s most powerful women.
WHEN: Friday, September 26th, 2014 from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
WHERE: The Talley Student Center at NC State University, Raleigh, NC 27606
The Summit features three panel discussions comprised of feminist scholars and experts from non-profit organizations. Jocelyn Frye, a Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C., will deliver the keynote address. Live streaming of the event will be made available on the Women AdvaNCe website, www.WomenAdvanceNC.org. The panelists will explore the following questions:
How do we ensure women’s access to health care and information?
- Dr. Lisa Levenstein, Associate Professor, UNC-Greensboro
- Hollie Oxendine, court advocate at SE Family Violence Center, domestic abuse survivor
- Dr. Stephanie Baker White, Professor of Public Health, UNC-Greensboro
- Jennifer Ferris, freelance writer, former employee of Planned Parenthood
- Tamara Jeffries, Assistant Professor of Journalism, Bennett College
- Dr. Amy Tiemann, award-winning author and educator
- Dr. Sarah Verbiest, Executive Director for Maternal & Infant Health, UNC-CH
How do we create and promote education systems that work?
- Dr. Kat Mellon Charron, Associate Professor of History, NCSU
- Dr. Yevonne Brannon, co-founder of Public Schools First NC
- Dr. Brenda Dial Deese, retired teacher at Robeson Public Schools
- NaShonda Cooke, 5th grade teacher at Durham Public Schools
- Deborah Gerhardt, founder & activist at Pay Our Teachers First
- Dr. Meghan Manfra, Associate Professor of Social Studies Education, NCSU
How do women climb the ladder of success in the workforce?
- Dr. Nancy MacLean, Professor of History, Duke University
- Ashanti (Ali) Watson-Smith, Area Director, Family First Support Center
- Emma Battle, CEO of Success360i
- Ivanna Gonzalez, HBCU Outreach Coordinator, Common Cause NC
- Dr. Ana-María González Wahl, Associate Professor of Sociology, WFU
- Beth Messersmith, Director and activist, MomsRising NC
This Summit would not be possible without the support of our Gold and Silver sponsors: Triangle Financial Advisors, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, and Raleigh Brewing Company. See a complete list of sponsors on the Women AdvaNCe website, www.WomenAdvanceNC.org.